19 October 2016 – The Satellite Applications Catapult recently supported the two-day 1 Billion Coalition (1BC) for Resilience Technology Workshop, which aimed to identify a vision and roadmap for developing the infrastructure to make preparedness and resilience data available to individuals, communities and organisations.
Day 1 – Workshop
During day 1, delegates explored the blocking issues and corresponding enablers in building an infrastructure environment that would support 1BC’s five platforms and their apps. This included showcasing examples of the types of tools the infrastructure will be likely to support.
Day 2 – Showcase
The second day was an opportunity for application developers with existing services relevant to the 1BC initiative to present their ideas to a mixture of funders and experts to receive feedback on their ideas, build connections, and solidify their place in the coalition. 1BC then outlined its plans for moving forward with the workshop outputs from the workshop, and the commitments made by various attending organisations.
- American Red Cross: First aid and Hazard apps – Ian O’Donnell
- UN OCHA: Connecting Business Initiative – Corin Morcom
- UNICEF: U-Report – Sofie De Dobbelaere
- Murgency: Murgency inc. – Sweta Mangal
- Inis Communication: SDG Insights – Tim France
- Connectik Technologies Ltd: Kenya Red Cross Society (KRCS) – Hachim Badji / Connectik Solution Overview / Connectik Plant-A-Tree app / Kenya Red Cross app video
- Aid:Tech: Humanitarian Block-chain – Niall Dennehy / AID:Tech Explainer / AID:Tech Lebanon Project
- HelpNow app